2010-05-31-strumpshaw_steam-rally

click here to see all pics at once.
Return to main index.
2010-05-31-0001 86. 4" Scale Ruston Proctor Steam Tractor - Rusty, Built 2006. Built from a Model Works kit by a man of 82 but never steamed. Purchased by the present owner in 2006 and rallied since. Owned & driven by I. & S. Newman.
2010-05-31-0002 21. (left) Ruston Proctor Type SH Traction Engine - Success, 7 NHP, Built 1914, Works No. 50278, Reg. No. CE 7949. New to C. R. Pumfrey of Duxford, the engine was requisitioned by the Government during World War 1 and set a national record by baling 242 tons of hay in a week. After the war the engine continued on contract threshing for the family until 1950. Owned and driven by R. Pumfrey, Sons and Daughter

17. (right) Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies Traction Engine - Chieftain, 7 NHP, Built 1903, Works No. 15278, Reg. No. ND 2009. New to W. Butcher of Essex the engine passed to a Mrs Lee in the same area in 1948. Purchased in 1960 by F. Swann and laid up in 1969. Purchased by the present owner in 1997. Owned by S. Haylock Driven by P. Starling Mate: J. Littlechild
2010-05-31-0003
2010-05-31-0004
2010-05-31-0005
2010-05-31-0007
2010-05-31-0008
2010-05-31-0009
2010-05-31-0010
2010-05-31-0011 4. Ford Model T Light Van - lizzy, Built 1918, Reg. No. AB 6938. Owned by P. & R. Stroud
2010-05-31-0012 6. Austin Big 7, Built 1938, Reg. No. FBH 655. Owned by B. Gill
2010-05-31-0013 19. Standard Van - Donald, Built 1929, Reg. No. UW 935. Owned by Mr. & Mrs. R. Harvey
2010-05-31-0014
2010-05-31-0015 23. Talbot AW75, Built 1934, Reg. No. JU 5984. Owned by C. Walton
2010-05-31-0016 4. Austin 7 Ruby - Gertie, Built 1935, Reg. No. BYW 6. Owned by Mr & Mrs S. Mills
2010-05-31-0017 15. Morris 8, Built 1938, Reg. No. EYK 423. Owned bY R. Shulver
2010-05-31-0018 7. Autin York, Built 1936, Reg. No. ADA 444. Owned by M. Ford
2010-05-31-0019 24. Alvis TA21, Built 1952, Reg. No. 995 NOD. Owned by J. Utting
2010-05-31-0020 52. Triumph Herald convertible, Built 1967, Reg. No. RLX 314E. Owned by J. Lugo
2010-05-31-0021 41. Morris Minor 1O00, Built 1965, Reg. No. JGC 269C. Owned by M. Wheeler & H. Sales
2010-05-31-0022 6. James Handyvan, Built 1934, Reg. No. USJ 897. Owned by I. Munroe
2010-05-31-0023
2010-05-31-0024 2. Austin Clifton, Built 1935, Reg. No. BYF 631. Owned by J. Rooke
2010-05-31-0026 28. (left) Citroen 15/6, Built 1952, Reg. No. VLN 99. Owned by F. Button
15. (right) Mini Pick Up, Built 1972, Reg. No. VER 633L. Owned by F. Button
2010-05-31-0027 Motorcycles & Bicycles
39. BSA L31-A, Built 1930, Reg. No. BF 4688. Owned by M. Thomas
41. BSA Empire Star, Built 1937, Reg. No. BAX 629. Owned by B. Garrad
42. BSA M20, Built 1938, Reg. No. 915 URT. Owned by M. Spall
5O. BSA A10 Super Rocket, Built 1960, Reg. No. MAS 119. Owned by F. Duffield
51. BSA Lightning Built 1967, Reg. Na. MKD 49E. Owned by B. Garrod
61. Triumph Tiger 110, Built 1958, Reg. No. 533 UXG. Owned by B. Simpson
2010-05-31-0028 Motorcycles & Bicycles
45. BSA B50 Victor, Built 1973. Owned by P. Shaw
47. BSA B31, Built 1954, Reg. No. RBJ 936. Owned by M. Spall
56. Francis Barnett Falcon 58, Built 1953, Reg. No. 614 UXU. Owned by D. Heckle
57. Francis Barnett Cruiser 80, Built 1958, Reg. No. UAS 660. Owned by A. Gent
58. Greeves Scottish, Built 1959, Reg- No. VSL 776. Owned by M. Damant
62. Triumph 21, Built 1966, Reg. No. EFX 752D. Owned by E. Bowman
2010-05-31-0029 50. BSA A10 Super Rocket, Built 1960, Reg. No. MAS 119. Owned by F. 0uffield
dunno!
48. BSA B33, Built 1954, Reg. No. PVF 467. Owned by C. Smith
2010-05-31-0030 45. BSA B50 Victor, Built 1973. Owned by P. Shaw
46. BSA C15 Star, Built 1960, Reg. No. 447 UXK. Owned by P. 5haw
2010-05-31-0031 62. Triumph 21, Built 1966, Reg. No. EFX 752D. Owned by E. Bowman
2010-05-31-0032 Possibly the most useful battery ever made.
2010-05-31-0034
2010-05-31-0035
2010-05-31-0036 48. BSA B33, Built 1954, Reg. No. PVF 467. Owned by C. Smith
2010-05-31-0037 40. BSA Airborne Parabike, Built 1941. Owned by R. Culley
2010-05-31-0038
2010-05-31-0039
2010-05-31-0040
2010-05-31-0041
2010-05-31-0042
2010-05-31-0043
2010-05-31-0044
2010-05-31-0045
2010-05-31-0046
2010-05-31-0047
2010-05-31-0048
2010-05-31-0049
2010-05-31-0050
2010-05-31-0051
2010-05-31-0052
2010-05-31-0053
2010-05-31-0054
2010-05-31-0055
2010-05-31-0056
2010-05-31-0057
2010-05-31-0058
2010-05-31-0059
2010-05-31-0060 47. BSA B31, Built 1954, Reg. No. RBJ 936. Owned by M. Spall
2010-05-31-0061 47. BSA B31, Built 1954, Reg. No. RBJ 936. Owned by M. Spall
2010-05-31-0063 42. BSA M20, Built 1938, Reg. No. 915 URT. Owned by M. Spall
2010-05-31-0064 50. BSA A10 Super Rocket, Built 1960, Reg. No. MAS 119. Owned by F. Duffield
60. Scott Clubman Special, Built 1938, Reg. No. FGU 54. Owned by D. Bainbridge
2010-05-31-0065 41. BSA Empire Star, Built 1937, Reg. No. BAX 629. Owned by B. Garrad
2010-05-31-0066 48. BSA B33, Built 1954, Reg. No. PVF 467. Owned by C. Smith
2010-05-31-0067
2010-05-31-0068 62. Triumph 21, Built 1966, Reg. No. EFX 752D. Owned by E. Bowman
2010-05-31-0069 57. Francis Barnett Cruiser 80, Built 1958, Reg. No. UAS 660. Owned by A. Gent
2010-05-31-0070 61. Triumph Tiger 110, Built 1958, Reg. No. 533 UXG. Owned by B. Simpson
2010-05-31-0071 45. BSA B50 Victor, Built 1973. Owned by P. Shaw
2010-05-31-0072 56. Francis Barnett Falcon 58, Built 1953, Reg. No. 614 UXU. Owned by D. Heckle
2010-05-31-0073 39. BSA L31-A, Built 1930, Reg. No. BF 4688. Owned by M. Thomas
2010-05-31-0074
2010-05-31-0075
2010-05-31-0076 28. Burrel Special Scenic Showman's Road locomotive - Ex-Mayor, 1O NHP, Built 1925, Works No. 4000, Reg. No. WT 8606. This engine was a special Order by George Tuby of Doncaster, and was delivered to him at the Kings Lynn Fair, the first of the year. Ex-Mayor spent all of her working life with the family. The engine was called Ex-Mayor because George had once been Mayor of Doncaster and had named several of his engines after the positions he had held, the others being: The Councillor, The Alderman and The Mayor. She spent nearly all of her life with the same driver, the late frank Cheffins. In 1946, when Tuby's discarded their steam fleet for diesel, Frank saved the engine from the scrap man. After several years and various owners, Ex- Mayor was purchased by the present owners in 1980 and spent three years in their workshop being totally rebuilt and painted in the original livery of Great Eastern Blue. Owned by the Saunders Collection Driven by N. Underwoad
Seen here driving the generator for the carousel.
2010-05-31-0077 36. Foster Showman's Tractor- Obsession, 4 NHP, Built 1915, Works No. 14205, Reg. No. FE 1874. New to J. Lockley of Maulden, Beds, the engine was scrapped in 1957 but many components were saved. Rebuilt over seven years with many new parts being made as well as using the original parts that remained. Completed in 1999. Owned and driven by M. & D. Sheldon
2010-05-31-0078 27. Fowler A9 Road Locomotive - Sir Douglas
2010-05-31-0079 A naughty tree. In prision.
or possibly they want to stop the birds escaping.
2010-05-31-0080 Not part of the show but it was here so it got its picture taken.
2010-05-31-0081
2010-05-31-0082
2010-05-31-0083
2010-05-31-0084
2010-05-31-0085
2010-05-31-0086
2010-05-31-0087
2010-05-31-0088
2010-05-31-0089
2010-05-31-0090
2010-05-31-0091
2010-05-31-0092
2010-05-31-0093
2010-05-31-0094
2010-05-31-0095
2010-05-31-0096
2010-05-31-0097
2010-05-31-0098
2010-05-31-0099
2010-05-31-0100
2010-05-31-0101
2010-05-31-0102
2010-05-31-0103
2010-05-31-0104
2010-05-31-0105
2010-05-31-0106
2010-05-31-0107
2010-05-31-0108
2010-05-31-0109
2010-05-31-0110
2010-05-31-0111
2010-05-31-0112
2010-05-31-0113
2010-05-31-0114
2010-05-31-0115
2010-05-31-0116
2010-05-31-0117
2010-05-31-0118
2010-05-31-0119
2010-05-31-0120
2010-05-31-0121
2010-05-31-0122
2010-05-31-0123
2010-05-31-0124
2010-05-31-0125
2010-05-31-0126
2010-05-31-0127
2010-05-31-0128
2010-05-31-0129
2010-05-31-0130
2010-05-31-0131
2010-05-31-0132
2010-05-31-0133
2010-05-31-0134
2010-05-31-0135
2010-05-31-0136
2010-05-31-0137
2010-05-31-0138
2010-05-31-0139
2010-05-31-0140
2010-05-31-0141
2010-05-31-0142
2010-05-31-0143
2010-05-31-0144
2010-05-31-0145
2010-05-31-0146 1. AEC Militant MK III Recovery, Built 1970, Reg. No. EPV 76H. Owned by K. Nurse
2010-05-31-0147
2010-05-31-0148
2010-05-31-0150 5. Ford 3 Ton Dropside, Built 1935, Reg. No. CDF 126. Owned by D. Chisholm
2010-05-31-0151 Left to right
16. Morris JB Van, Built 1958, Reg. No. DSU 221. Owned by N. Cushion
2. Bedford J Recovey Vehicle, Built 1966, Reg. No. HBV 388E. Owned by T. Kidd
I dunno! a green station waggony thing
5. Ford 3 Ton Dropside, Built 1935, Reg. No. CDF 126. Owned by D. Chisholm
2010-05-31-0152
2010-05-31-0153 See below
2010-05-31-0154
2010-05-31-0155 See next pic
2010-05-31-0156 37. Garrett 4CD Showman' Tractor - Little Billy, 4 NHP, Built 1919, Works No. 33566, Reg. No. AD 9069. Built to the order of M. B. Browning of Stonehouse, Glos, as a contractors engine. It was supplied via Garrett's agents Workman Bros. of Slimbridge, priced £1027. It was purchased in 1920 from Mr Browning by amusement caterers W. Cole & Sons af Bristol, along with Garrett 4CD No.33486. Both were converted to showman's tractors and named Little Billy and Little Jim after Mr Cole's grandsons. They went to work in the fairground and stayed in the family until 1972. Little Billy provided power for the Gondolas ride which is now preserved in the Thursford Collection in Norfolk. Purchased by present owner in 1992. Owned by T. Saunders, The Saunders Collection Driven by P. Charles
2010-05-31-0157 driving a saw.
2010-05-31-0158 driving a saw.
2010-05-31-0159 42. Garrett 4CD Tractor - Victoria, 4 NHP, BuiIt 1924, Works No. 34461, Reg. No. PM 4795. This engine was supplied new in Royal Show finish, and didn't leave Garrett's works until 1927. It was supplied to W & F Bains of Blackham, Sussex at a cost of £805. It mOved in 1944 to Chris Lambert at Horsmondon, Sussex who converted the engine to a road roller. In 1951 Don Eastwoad purchased the engine at the Lambert sale for £155, still in road roller form. In 1957 he converted her back to a tractor. The engine remained in the Eastwood family for nearly 5O years, last being steamed in 1994. Purchased by the present owner in 2OO4 and has undergone a major rebuild including a new firebox, barrel, tender, diff gears and canopy. She has been finished off in her original show livery. Owned by I. Houlgrave
2010-05-31-0160
2010-05-31-0161 24. Wallis & Steevens Traction Engine - Wanda, 8 NHP, Built 1924, Works No. 7801, Reg. No. PU 3378. New to the Matthews family of Essex and used on threshing duties among other things. This was the last 8 NHP single built by Wallis & Steevens. Owned by Mrs K. Angelwrath Driven by G. Moakes Mate: R. Moakes
2010-05-31-0162 61. 6" Scale Foden C Type Wagon - Ebony, Built 1990. Built by M. Cox of Northants and rebuilt by him in 2003. Purchased by the present owner in 2006, a new boiler was fitted over the winter. Owned by A. Holmes Driven by Miss. N. Holmes
2010-05-31-0163 16. Marshall Traction Engine - Emma working a saw.
2010-05-31-0164
2010-05-31-0165 16. (foreground) Marshall Traction Engine - Emma working a saw

8. (background) Burrell SCC Crane Engine - Lord Derby, 8 NHP, Built 1915, Works No. 3695, Reg. No. TB 2740. New to S. Rosbotham of Lancs for haulage of sand from Southport beaches. Used during W.W.2 for building demolition in liverpool. Purchased by the present Owner in 1985 and fitted with the crane and jib from Emperor, Burrell's works engine. Owned by R. Parrott Driven by K. Grimsey
2010-05-31-0166 16. Marshall Traction Engine - Emma, 7 NHP, Built 1913, Works No. 61970, Reg. No. BJ 5934. This engine spent its working life in SuffoIk on threshing work for H. Holland & Sons. Purchased for preservation in 1961 and attended its first rally in 1967. New rear tyres were fitted a couple of years ago. Owned and driven by T. Petty Mate: S. Gaugh
2010-05-31-0167 The saw driven by 16. Marshall Traction Engine - Emma. I really like to see "Health and Safty" taken care of by common sense as can been seen by the saw blade guards here.
2010-05-31-0168
2010-05-31-0169
2010-05-31-0170
2010-05-31-0171
2010-05-31-0174
2010-05-31-0176
2010-05-31-0178 2O. Hornby Working Model Railway & Village Layout. Owned by M. Etheridge
2010-05-31-0179 16. A Collection of Models. Owned by A. & M. Russon
2010-05-31-0180 15. OO Gauge Modell fairground and Rally field. Owned by J. Palmer
2010-05-31-0181
2010-05-31-0182
2010-05-31-0183
2010-05-31-0184
2010-05-31-0185
2010-05-31-0186
2010-05-31-0187
2010-05-31-0188
2010-05-31-0189
2010-05-31-0190
2010-05-31-0191
2010-05-31-0192
2010-05-31-0193
2010-05-31-0194
2010-05-31-0195
2010-05-31-0196
2010-05-31-0197
2010-05-31-0198
2010-05-31-0199
2010-05-31-0200
2010-05-31-0201
2010-05-31-0202
2010-05-31-0203
2010-05-31-0204
2010-05-31-0205
2010-05-31-0206
2010-05-31-0207
2010-05-31-0208
2010-05-31-0209
2010-05-31-0210
2010-05-31-0211
2010-05-31-0212 13. Fowler A4 Agricultural Engine - The Countess, 6 NHP, Built 1908, Works No. 11421, Reg. No. NT 117. The engine was new in 1908 but only stayed with her original owners for three years. Purchased in 1911 by the Griffiths family where she remained for the next 85 years until bought by the present owner in 1996. The engine was mainly used for threshing but apparently spent some time at a coal mine and at a carpet factory in the Midlands on standby for emergencies! Stored under a tree from 1941 but returned to steam in 1977. The engine was fitted with a new firebox in 2008 for her 100th Birthday. Owned and driven by R. Timson Mate: D. Chilvers
2010-05-31-0213 39. Foster Wellington Tractor -Johnboy, 3 NHP, Built 2007, Works No. 14739, Reg. No. GN07 UZE. This is a brand new engine built to 1904 Foster Drawings by Dawson Bros of Bicker, Lincolnshire. The engine has visited events in Denmark. Owned and driven by I. Gilbert Mate: J. Gilbert
2010-05-31-0214 57. 6" Scale Burrell Scenic Showman's Road Locomotive - Lady Ellena, Built 2OO1, Works. No. 4O95, Reg. No. Y169 AUF. Built by the owner and his son over a six year period. Owned and driven by M. Plumb
2010-05-31-0215 51. Foden 9" Scale Steam Tractor - Elsie, 3½ Tons, Built 1995. Rallied for several years now, the present owners purchased the wagon in 2007 and fitted new boiler tubes last Spring. Owned and driven by S. & S. Garrod
2010-05-31-0216 37. Garrett 4CD Showman' Tractor - Little Billy, 4 NHP, Built 1919, Works No. 33566, Reg. No. AD 9069. Built to the order of M. B. Browning of Stonehouse, Glos, as a contractors engine. It was supplied via Garrett's agents Workman Bros. of Slimbridge, priced £1027. It was purchased in 1920 from Mr Browning by amusement caterers W. Cole & Sons of Bristol, along with Garrett 4CD No.33486. Both were converted to showman's tractors and named Little Billy and Little Jim after Mr Cole's grandsons. They went to work in the fairground and stayed in the family until 1972. Little Billy provided power for the Gondolas ride which is now preserved in the Thursford Collection in Norfolk. Purchased by present owner in 1992. Owned by T. Saunders, The Saunders Collection Driven by P. Charles
2010-05-31-0217 18. Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies Traction Engine, 7 NHP, Built 1912, Works No. 24436, Reg. No.BF 5011. Exported new to Tasmania, the engine returned to these shores in a derelict condition in 1999. Restored by the present owners in their back yard with the help of Brian Roberts. Owned and driven by The Hart family Mates: T. Nunn & Z. Howlett
2010-05-31-0218 44. Aveling & Porter Road Roller - George, 10 Tons, Built 1917, Works No. 8837, Reg. No. NO 1221. The engine spent most af its working life with Essex County Council before passing into preservation in 1961. Purchased by the present owners in 2003, who have fitted a new canopy and had the rear wheels re bushed and re tyred. Owned and driven by J. & P. Copeman
2010-05-31-0219 22. Wallis & Steevens Expansion Traction Engine -Faith, 7 NHP, Built 1916, Works No. 7497, Reg. No. NO 4710. Purchased by the present owner in 1965 after standing derelict for 16 years beside the road at Lavenham. In 1991 the engine had a new firebox fitted. Owned and driven by N. & J. Taylar
2010-05-31-0220 50. Foden Colonial Steam Wagon, 5 Tons, Built 1913, Works No. 4086, Reg. No. M 4848. Brought back from Australia by the late Tom Varley in the 1970s. Returned to steam by him, then sold at auction in August 1984 to a German enthusiast who lived near Hamburg. Acquired by present owner in 2004. A complete restoration has been carried out. Owned and driven by S. Plumb Mate: M. Plumb
2010-05-31-0221 42. Garrett 4CD Tractor - Victoria, 4 NHP, BuiIt 1924, Works No. 34461, Reg. No. PM 479S. This engine was supplied new in Royal Show finish, and didn't leave Garrett's works until 1927. It was supplied to W & F Bains of Blackham, Sussex at a cost of £805. It mOved in 1944 to Chris Lambert at Horsmondon, Sussex who converted the engine to a road roller. In 1951 Don Eastwoad purchased the engine at the Lambert sale for £155, still in road roller form. In 1957 he converted her back to a tractor. The engine remained in the Eastwood family for nearly 5O years, last being steamed in 1994. Purchased by the present owner in 2OO4 and has undergone a major rebuild including a new firebox, barrel, tender, diff gears and canopy. She has been finished off in her original show livery. Owned by I. Houlgrave
2010-05-31-0222 24. Wallis & Steevens Traction Engine - Wanda, 8 NHP, Built 1924, Works No. 7801, Reg. No. PU 3378. New to the Matthews family of Essex and used on threshing duties among other things. This was the last 8 NHP single built by Wallis & Steevens. Owned by Mrs K. Angelwrath Driven by G. Moakes Mate: R. Moakes
2010-05-31-0223 7. Burrell Agricultural Engine - Trudy Jane, 6 NHP, Built 1910, Works No. 3233, Reg. No. CF 3334. Owned and driven by P. Williams Mate: R. Noble
2010-05-31-0224 20. Ruston Proctor Agricultural Engine - Rusty, 7NHP, BuiIt 1908, Works No. 34987, Reg. No. AH 5654. Exhibited new at the Norfolk show, and sold to Mr Riches of Bale for £520.The engine spent all her working life in Norfolk, later moving to William Warner of Gressenhall, ending in its commercial days with Lambert Bros of North Elmham in 1949. Saved from the scrapman in 1966 by the late Roger Wyeld. Owned by G. P. Wyeld & Sons Driven by: The Peggs famiIy
2010-05-31-0225 14. Marshall Agricultural Engine - Old Nick, 7 NHP, Built 1908, Works Na. 49725, Reg. Na. BW 4509. The engine started its life in Oxfordshire in the ownership of the Oxford Steam Plough Co. where it worked until 1940. Bought at auction by the Pennock family of North Yorkshire and used for woodsawing. Rescued for restoration in 1960 by T. Meadowcroft who named the engine after a son. Purchased by the present owners in 1984 from J. Ockington. In 2008/9 "Old Nick" had extensive boiler work carried out and can now steam on into the future. Owned by E. & R. Eagle Driven by T. Eagle Mate: A. Eagte
2010-05-31-0226
2010-05-31-0227 11. Clayton & Shuttteworth Agricultural Engine - Valiant, 7 NHP, Built 1919, Works No. 48224, Reg. No. BH 7651. This engine spent its early days in Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire and was restored for preservatian in 1957 by Albert Deans of Baldock. The engine then passed to Norfolk and then down South. Purchased by the present owners in 2002. Owned and driven by P. & A. Blanch
2010-05-31-0228 40. Fowler Tiger Steam Tractor - Mr Blower, 4 NHP, 8uilt 1919, Works No. 15288, Reg. No. U 4952. New to F. Cooke of Spalding, Lincs before moving to G. BarnsdaIe & Son af Donnington, who used it for timber haulage and later for driving machinery. Put aside for scrap in 1940 but luckily remained intact at Grantham scrap yard until 1967. Purchased by the present owner in 1996 and completeIy overhauled. Owned and driven by A. R. Tyler Mate: Mrs. J. Tyler
2010-05-31-0229 26. Fowler B6 Road Locomotive - Titan, 10 NHP, Built 1911, Works No. 12226, Reg. No. HL 930. Sold new to Spur Inman, boilermakers, of WakefieId and worked for them moving Lancashire boilers until 1962. Purchased for preservation by A. Fearnley and later restored by G. Proctor. Purchased by the present owners in 1999 who have carried out much further work. Owned and driven by Dr. A. & Mrs. E. Marchington Mate: P. Marchington
2010-05-31-0230 17. Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies Traction Engine - Chieftain, 7 NHP, Built 1903, Works No. 15278, Reg. No. NO 2009. New to W. Butcher of Essex the engine passed to a Mrs Lee in the same area in 1948. Purchased in 1960 by F. Swann and laid up in 1969. Purchased by the present owner in 1997. Owned by S. Haylock Driven by P. Starling Mate: J. Littlechild
2010-05-31-0231 46. Marshall S Type Road Roller, 12 Tons, Built 1929, Works No. 85106, Reg. No. DV 4005. This engine worked much of its life for Devon County Council, its last job was working on the Exeter bypass in the 1960's. This roller is maintained by the Chiltern Marshall Preservation Group. Owned by Devon County Council Driven by M. Whitaker Mate: E. Lawrence
2010-05-31-0232 52. Standard Sentinel Waggon - No. 1, 6 Tons, Built 1918, Works No. 1960, Reg. No. AW 4131. Supplied new to Owen and Dyson Railway Axle Manufaurers before moving to Brown Bayley Steel in Sheffield. Purchased for preservation in 1971. Owned by J. Richardson Driven by P. Hemnell
2010-05-31-0233 43. Wallis & Steevens Heavy Tractor - Little Atom, 5 NHP, Built 1927, Works No. 7881, Reg. No. PR 8420. The first of four of its type built and the only remaining, the engine was sold new to the Kinson Pottey Ltd, Parkstone, Dorset. This engine was the last Steam engine to be purchased by the Pottey at a cost of £1086. "Little Atom" hauled coal from Poole quay and also clay to the pottery, being driven by Harry Legg. The engine was apparently laid aside during the Second World War and was brought back into service shortly after the War ended. It is believed that "Little Atom" served the pottery for almost 23 years before being sold in the 1950's to Seth Loader Esq after he took an interest in the engine. He negotiated with the then Managing Directar George Brackstone and the engine was sold for the pricey sum of £10. The engine remained in the possession of Mark Loader and Sons who kept the engine in preservation. By the late 19SO's No. 7881 carried the name "Morning Star". Mark Loader started the extensive restoration of the engine in 1981. In May 2006 Mark Loader made the decision to sell the engine to the present owners who have completed the restoration in memory of their father George. Owned and driven by S. & J. Brackstone Mate: Miss. L. Gmiterik
2010-05-31-0234 27. Fowler A9 Road Locomotive - Sir Douglas, 7 NHP, Built 1920, Works No. 15467, Reg. No. D 9200. Originally supplied to Sezingcote House Estate, Glos, then used by Cooper's of Wheatly, Oxon, delivering bricks. Bought by Chris Lambert in the early 1950s and sold in his famous sale in 1955. The engine was rallied in Essex for the next decade before being purchased by the present owners where it remained untouched until 1992, whereupon restoration began. This was completed in 1997. Owned by S. Philp & Sons Driven by B. Hagan Mate: D. Warren
2010-05-31-0235 19. Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies Traction Engine - Gariorh Queen, 6 NHP, Built 1919, Works No. 31298, Reg. No. SA 4253. This engine attended the first Royal Northern 5how in Aberdeen after the War and then spent its entire working life in Scotland with a threshing contractor. Owned and driven by B. Peacock Mate: M. Peacock
2010-05-31-0236 48. Ruston & Hornsby Road Roller - Veronica, 15 Tons, Built 1922, Works No. 115123, Reg. No. XM 6374. New to Henry Woodham & Sons of Catford, London. Sold into preservation in 1965 and purchased by the present owner in 1972 who has exhibited the roller in Holland and France. Owned and driven by J. Brice Mate: P. Smith
2010-05-31-0237 47. Marshall S type Road Roller, 4 NHP, Built 1935, Works No. 87618, Reg. No. JL 2172. Supplied new to Holland County Council in Boston, Lincs. The engine was purchased for preservation 27 years ago by the present owners. Owned by R. Randell & Son Driven by S. Bush Mate: D. Bush
2010-05-31-0238 6. Burrell SCC Agricultural Engine - Princess, 6 NHP, Built 1909, Works No. 3125, Reg. No. AF 4574. Sold new to Cornwall where the engine was used at a Tin Mine and for hauling boats in from the sea. Restored by J. Mead in 1991 and now cared for and rallied by M. Groom and J. Smith. Owned by The Mead family Driven by M. Groom Mate: J. Smith
2010-05-31-0239 6. Burrell SCC Agricultural Engine - Princess, 6 NHP, Built 1909, Works No. 3125, Reg. No. AF 4574. Sold new to Cornwall where the engine was used at a Tin Mine and for hauling boats in from the sea. Restored by J. Mead in 1991 and now cared for and rallied by M. Groom and J. Smith. Owned by The Mead family Driven by M. Groom Mate: J. Smith
2010-05-31-0240 15. Marshall Agricultural Engine - Woodton Lady, 6 NHP, Built 1910, Works No. 54486, Reg. Na. AH 7349. This engine was exhibited new at the Peterborough Show, being built to the requirements of a Mr Faithfull who required a short and narrow engine for use on the Isle of Wight where the lanes are narrow and the stackyards small. The design became known as the "Faithfull" type and it is believed 6 were built. Three of this type have survived, this being the only regular steamer. The engine spent all its working life in Norfolk and Suffolk. Owned by The Norfolk and Suffolk Steam Engine Club Driven by I. Snowden Mate: D. Snowden
2010-05-31-0241 41. Garrett 4CD Tractor - Julie, 4 NHP, Built 1918, Works No. 33141, Reg. No. BJ 7721. New to the War Department and shipped to France for hauling guns. After the war the engine returned to Suffolk and spent 30 years threshing and timber hauling. Purchased for preservation by the late George King and rallied for over 5O years. Owned and driven by M. Mayes Mate: T. Martin
2010-05-31-0242 45. Fowler DN1 Road Roller - Highlander, 10 Tons, Built 1924, Works No. 16235, Reg. No. AV 45. Worked for Aberdeen C.C. all of its life as a tar spraying roller. The roller spent a short spell in Reading before returning to Aberdeen. Purchased by the present owners in May 2000. Owned and driven by The Higgins Family
2010-05-31-0243 1. Burrell Showman's Engine - Princess Royal, 7 NHP, Built 1921, Works No. 3789, Reg. No. SW 742. Acquired by J. W. H. Key in 1960, this engine was fitted with a new firebox and tubes over the 2004/2005 period. Rallied around the country each summer. Owned by Strumpshaw Steam Museum Driven by C. Spinks
2010-05-31-0244 29. Burrell Showman's Road Locomotive - Nero, 5 NHP, Built 1915, Works No. 3669, Reg. No. G 6470. Supplied new to Bostock & Wombwell's travelling menagerie show, hauling loads from Glasgow to Cornwall with similar engine "Rajah". In 1931 when the show ended, the animals went to Whipsnade Zoo and the engines moved to Henton's of Hopwas, Staffs for haulage work. Saved for preservation in the mid 1950's and purchased by the present owner in 1986. Owned and driven by W. Middlemiss Mate: T. Middlemiss
2010-05-31-0245 4. Aveling & Porter F Type Road Roller, 10 Tons, Built 1921, Works No. 10079, Reg. No. BJ 7116. Purchased by the present owners in 1986. Owned by Strumpshaw Steam Museum Driven by A. Hines
2010-05-31-1032 21. Ruston Proctor Type SH Traction Engine - Success, 7 NHP, Built 1914, Works No. 50278, Reg. No. CE 7949. New to C. R. Pumfrey of Duxford, the engine was requisitioned by the Government during World War 1 and set a national record by baling 242 tons of hay in a week. After the war the engine continued on contract threshing for the family until 1950. Owned and driven by R. Pumfrey, Sons and Daughter
2010-05-31-1033 3. Burrell Agricultural Engine - Buller, 7 NHP, Built 1921, Works No. 2366, Reg. No. AH 5488. New to Doran Bros Ltd of Thetford, the engine then passed to a Mr. Howard also in Norfolk. The engine was purchased by the Key family in the 1960s. Owned by Strumpshaw Steam Museum Driven by R. Garnham
2010-05-31-1034 9. Burrell Agricultural Engine -Jesie, 7 NHP, Built 1922, Works No. 3923, Reg. No. EW 3026. Purchased new at the Royal Show at Cambridge in 1922. Used by the present owner's family for contract threshing until 1948 and restored in 1966. Owned and driven by B. Freeman Mate: J. Freeman
2010-05-31-1035 23. Wallis & Steevens Expansion Traction Engine - Sir William, 7 NHP, Built 1922, Works No. 7690, Reg. No. BJ 8765. Originally supplied to Messrs P Stevens of Bacton in 1922 and passing through several owners until purchased in 1979 by W R Bird, Tunstead who restored the engine to the condition today including a new firebox and front tube plate in 1990 and new tubes. Purchased by the present owner in 2006. Owned and driven by A. & M. Smith & Sons
2010-05-31-1036 25. Foden Colonial Road Locomotive - Monarch, 8 NHP, Built 1913, Works No. 3534, Reg. No. MA 5502. Road registered by Fodens in 1921 and believed to have been used by them as a works engine and used on recovery work in the district. The engine then passed ta W. Ellis of Winsford, Cheshire and in 1934 sold to W. Barlow of High Legh where the engine was used until 1948. It then passed through several owners until purchased by S. Burgess who restored the engine to its present condition in 1993. Acquired by the present owners in late 1997 who have carried out much mechanical work on the engine. Owned and driven by G. P. Wyeld & Sons
2010-05-31-1038 53. Shand Mason Steam Fire Engine - Thorney, Built 1909. The engine saw service with the Duke of Bedford's estate at Thorney and at Woburn. Owned by Bedfordshire and Luton fire and Rescue Service Steamer Group


Contact the author of this page

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional    Valid CSS!    Raspberry Pi Logo

This website runs on Raspberry Pi hardware.
© Copyright 1995-2019 Nev Young